Tuesday, September 8, 2009

idiom of the week: Gordon Bennett!


"Hey George, what are you doing this weekend?"

"You mean the weekend of the 20th annual St Edmund Campion drinking festival?"

"Of course!"

"As usual, sitting at home watching Coronation Street with the wife. I don't suppose you can go either."

"Think again, my friend."

"Are you going?"

"Yes I am!"

"Gordon Bennett! How did you ever manage to persuade Beryl to let you go? "

"Family funeral."

"Who died?"

"One of her relatives, but I won't be able to attend the funeral. "

"Why not?"

"I'm going to severely injure my back the day before."

You crafty bugger! You owe me a drink for such a cunning plan..."

Explanation: Wow, as in I'm very surprised.

Notes: James Gordon Bennet II, 1841 - 1918 is the man referred to, and was quite a colourful character. One of his many reported exploits was an incident where he flew an aeroplane through an open barn. The surprised spectators were supposed to have said 'That was Gordon Bennett!', and hence onward to the current shortened phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment